Reply To: Why you buy what you do?

///Reply To: Why you buy what you do?
Reply To: Why you buy what you do? 2015-11-18T18:26:46+00:00
Sides
Participant

To me, it’s not about money. I will only buy quality tools. I don’t want to fight the tools, while working wood. I have a nice mix of vintage as well as new tools. It depends on what I need and how fast I need it. I shop antique stores as well as the web. If I buy new, it will generally be Lie-Nielsen or Veritas but there are others. I usually do a lot of research on what I need, then buy.

My panel saws are vintage Disstons, my dovetail, carcass and tendon saws are Lie-Nielsen. My #4 plane is a type 6 Bed Rock. My #5 & 7 are Lie-Nielsens. My plow and rabbet planes are Veritas.

I am beginning to lean more towards new tools. Buying vintage doesn’t mean you will save money. I use my Bed Rock smoother with the original iron. Iy you put a new Hock iron into it, you may have spent more money than new. I enjoy restoring vintage, but my time is limited, and worth something. I don’t like to buy vintage on the web. It is difficult to judge condition. Usually my vintage tools are bought as an antique store find, rather than need.

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!