Reply To: Making bowls and spoons

///Reply To: Making bowls and spoons
Reply To: Making bowls and spoons 2017-03-19T12:29:53+00:00
Mike in TN
Participant
Post count: 254

Hi Mike,

There are woods (primarily non-US “exotics”) that can cause issues due to allergies and sensitivities developed over time, but nearly all US domestic woods are considered food safe after made. There is much more concern with inhaling sawdust in general and developed sensitivity due to long term physical  exposure to raw, green wood. I don’t believe that the issue is widespread enough to justify any sort of a test kit. One of the issues with a test would be that it is primarily a sensitivity issue with the individual as opposed to the toxicity of the material. The links below were some I found for wood toxicity and sensitivity information.

Toxic Woods

http://www.tedswoodworking.com/toxic-wood.htm

Wood Allergies and Toxicity

Have fun

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!