Reply To: Walnut "Shampaing" desk

///Reply To: Walnut "Shampaing" desk
Reply To: Walnut "Shampaing" desk 2017-12-19T08:25:27+00:00
Mike in TN
Participant

Hello Andrew,

That is a wonderful piece. Don’t worry about the joinery appearance as long as the functional requirements are met. I have seen the work of many craftsmen of days gone by and they often approached their hidden work in a “matter-of-fact” manner and left the extra “effort-for-appearance” to the areas seen, or felt. All of the commercial shops had to choose where to spend time, effort, and materials in order to remain competitive. Because of that, they tended to standardize (within the shop operation) the use of patterns, joinery, work sequences, finishes, and always placed the “extra” efforts on the areas that showed. They did this to the point of using secondary woods for many of the structural parts and saved the “showy” woods for the exposed parts. It is those types of details that often allows experts to identify an antique as coming from a particular shop, craftsman, or time period. You tend to see “perfect” joinery (whatever that is) in pieces produced by talented amateurs or as show pieces.

I love the fact that you drew from two traditional styles and selected the features that you liked from each to create a piece that was totally yours. Keep up the good work and I hope to see more pieces from you in the future.

Have fun

1 user thanked author for this post.

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!