Any ideas for finishing pine?

//Any ideas for finishing pine?
Any ideas for finishing pine? 2015-11-03T10:04:58+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

sethm
    Participant

In the past I have used oil based stains and gel stains. I had a little bit better results using shellac as a sealer coat before the stain and it does help with the blotching but it mutes the color quite a bit. Im still having trouble getting an even color across the work piece. I guess its time to start looking into dyes? Any help would be appreciated.

-Seth

• Author
    Replies
  • Bill
    Participant

Aniline dyes can be helpful with pine. They leave a particulate on the surface of the wood that helps cover the blotchy areas. That said, you may not ever completely rid yourself of the blotchies. You’ll still likely need to use a pre-finish sealer.

The Wood Whisperer had this to say on the topic: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/blotch-control-to-rule-them-all/

You may find that helpful. Good luck with it – I know it can be a real PITA. That’s why I try to either avoid using pine, or finish it with straight rubbed oil or shellac when I have to use it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • sethm
    Participant

So just to recap are you recommending to put down a coat of sanding sealer before you apply the dye?

• Bill
    Participant

No – I did not write that clearly and good on you for questioning it! You need to put the dye on before the sealer. The process I’ve used on pine with dye is:

1. Raise grain and knock down;
    2. Apply dye (I’ve used water and alcohol as a base to do this – alcohol takes some more getting used to and tends to work better if spraying, but you typically don’t have to resand afterward as you do with water – so you may need to do multiple dye applications if you use water to get the color you want);
    3. Apply pre-finish sealer – I’ve used dewaxed shellac for this;
    4. Apply your finish – I’ve used all kinds of stuff here…like successive coats of shellac, Behlen’s Rock Hard, etc.

Please excuse my poor writing clarity in my original post. There is a ton of stuff on the net that cover the use of aniline dyes on pine…Google is your friend! You will easily find the info you need to use them successfully.

• sethm
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. Will be placing an order shortly

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!