Anyone know how to clean oil out of water stones?

//Anyone know how to clean oil out of water stones?
Anyone know how to clean oil out of water stones? 2015-06-12T19:35:14+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Bill
    Participant

I am just sick.  I went into my shop to do some pre-Saturday sharpening – thinking I’d get a jump on my weekend shop time.  I soaked my stones, got everything ready, and started.  I noticed a problem when I hit the 8000 stone for the first time.  It was like there was a coating of plastic that was leaching onto the surface as I sharpened.  I thought it was just slurry at first and kept going.

It got worse from there.

I’ve a background in investigations.  I know how to figure out whodunnit – especially when there are always the same two prime suspects in my house.  They also left little, oily, telltale finger tracks in the bottom of my pond.  So, they’ve got some ‘splainin to do.

In the meantime, I need to clean my stones.  I did a quick search and found that people use Dawn dish soap to clean them.  It got the surface stuff off.  I further learned that some put them in the dishwasher to get the “hard to clean” oil out of their water stones.  My stones are on “pots and pans” as I write this.  If this doesn’t work, I’m out of ideas.

Any thoughts (other than “go buy diamond stones and you don’t have this problem, dummy!” – already been thinking that myself.)

• Author
    Replies
  • Nick
    Participant

I can remember being told by my old carpentry teacher that you can out them in the oven to ‘recondition them’. I have no idea of the temperature used or indeed even if you have to have it turned on!

Has anyone else heard of this technique?

npbarrett

• Bill
    Participant

Well, I put them through the dishwasher, soaked them in a highly concentrated Dawn soap solution, and baked them after rinsing them several times.  There is no indication of oil visible on the stones.  I’ll use them this weekend and will be able to report back on how well my efforts worked.

• adamjsalyers
    Participant

Hope it worked, so I know in case that happens to me!  Thanks for the post!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!