Box Elder Bowl 2015-10-24T10:23:35+00:00
  • Author
    Replies
  • Sides
    Participant
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Sides,

Nice looking project. Was the blank good and dry or how are you managing it for shrinkage?

Have fun

• Sides
    Participant

Hi Mike,
    When carving bowls like this, it is best to carve when the wood is green. I did all the basic rough carving when it was green. Then let it dry for at least a couple weeks in a large paper bag filled with some wood chips. The combination of the paper bag and wood chips slows down the way the wood dries. If it dries too fast, it will crack. If you use a plastic bag the wood will get mold After it dries you refine the carving and finish with oil. Yes I have a few crack but I get the wood for nothing, so I really don’t care if one goes into the fire pit. I carved the whole thing with an adze, axe, knife and card scraper to smooth the thing out.

• Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Sides,

That is very similar to the process I am familiar with but I hadn’t heard of the paper bag trick, just the wood chips and sawdust. I have also heard the some folks apply oil to slow evaporation. Have you ever tried that and, if so, how did that work for you?

Have fun.

• Sides
    Participant

If you have a large enough pile of chips it works. The bag helps and keeps the shop cleaner. I have seen where people rub the wood with boiled potatoes. They say it works, I worry about bugs and mold, I’ve never tried it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!