Cracked plane

//Cracked plane
Cracked plane 2015-10-23T20:22:05+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

WilliamF
    Participant

I recently was given a Stanley plane that has a through crack on the side.  Is it possible to weld it or is it just scrap now?

• Author
    Replies
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Most planes are made of cast iron and that is normally brazed. I have seen some good plane repairs and lots of bad ones. Sometimes, depending on where and how bad the damage is, the plane can be used without repair. If the break goes through the mouth then it will probably flex during use which will probably render it useless except for replacement parts. I would have to check it over closely to determine if the event that caused the obvious damage didn’t cause additional, not so obvious damage such as a warped sole. Any brazing is definitely best left to someone with a well developed skill set in working with metals.

Obviously, the more common the plane is,  the less effort could be justified in trying to restore it.

• Bill M.
    Participant

Welding Cast Iron

Cast iron can be welded, but special care is needed in preheating the part and slow cooling afer the weld is completed.  Such a repair might be justified on a very rare plane.  For a common plane, brazing might be a better option to create a good user.

• woodwhittler
    Participant

All depends on what type of plane it is whether its worth the time and effort to repair it.  Any pics?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!