Disston D23 Pre 1928

Disston D23 Pre 1928 2015-07-02T20:42:33+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Seth Ruffin
    Participant
    I found a old Disston hand saw at an antique store. The store had a hand full of Disston saws and had them marked at $20 each because of either the Disston button or because you could see the logo on the blade. However, I found one with a broken handle with the button missing and the blade to tarnished to really see the logo. I was able to make out well enough that the logo was the pre-WW2. So I took the $6 gamble and bought the saw.
    Saw-Blade-Tarnished
    Saw-Marking
    So I took the saw home. Cleaned it up. Made a new handle. And tuned it a little. Right now I’m waiting for a course saw set so I can actually tune it properly. Right now it still cuts well, for the most part, it strays after about 16 inches.
    Disston-Saw-new-handle
    Disston-Logo-after-use
  • Author
    Replies
  • Gbalcom
    Participant

Nice Job!

I just refurbished a D-23 myself…It’s become my only solid Full Size (26″) Handsaw.  I filed mine 8pt Rip, and am happy with it.  I took Paul Sellers advice and changed the rake on the first 6-8 inches of the saw.  This really helps in starting a cut, but also allows me to cross cut (rough) easily.

• Ron
    Participant

Nice work Seth. I love getting saws cheap and restoring them. I feel like I saved it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!