Fulton Hand Plane Restoration and more

//Fulton Hand Plane Restoration and more
Fulton Hand Plane Restoration and more2019-01-27T21:45:19+00:00
  • Author
    Replies
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Lovely work Redsft. I normally just restore mine to prime functionality instead of “pretty” but that is some mighty fine work. I love the fact that you preserved the sticker on the handle.

• Red5hft
      Participant

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike. It is amazing how many vintage tools, 90+ years old, are in use by craftsmen. I appreciate when someone has taken the time to care for their daily antique user tools and has the skills to create beautiful woodworking products with them. Brings back the skills of the craftsmen.

“Whether you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford.

• Joshua Farnsworth
    Keymaster

Wowzers! How did you finish the handle without hurting the sticker?

• Red5hft
      Participant

Patience

Very carefully. Sanded around decal very carefully (some of of the decal was already missing). I then matched the original stain, again working around the
      Decal. 3 coats of spray on polyurethane. Lastly 2 coats of brush on high gloss poly and buffed the poly to high sheen.

You can do wonders when you’re retired and have unlimited time on your hands.

Here is an uncommon Fowler plane I just finished. Fowler plane were low cost planes with stamped steel frogs. This one was completely rusted over. The frog actually fits the frog bed very well on this one. I have restored similar planes that did not fit well. This Fowler is an awesome performer! It glides through the wood and can curl off transparent shavings with no effort. Going to find it a new home on eBay. Will make the new owner very happy.

“Whether you think you can, or you can’t, you’re right.”
      -Henry Ford.

• Joshua Farnsworth
    Keymaster

Wow, that’s a lot of work! And that’s a beautiful restoration job.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!