Furniture wax / Polish

//Furniture wax / Polish
Furniture wax / Polish 2015-12-15T09:02:52+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

James Wright
    Participant

I have never used wax on a finish and have wanted to try it. What brand or type should I try first, and where do you purchase yours?

• Author
    Replies
  • Joshua Farnsworth
    Keymaster

James, my favorite is “Mylands Clear Finishing Wax” You can find it here at this link. Definitely worth the price. Some top notch woodworkers recommended this to me.

• Sides
    Participant

You should try making your own. It isn’t difficult, and it gives you more control over the final results. The link should start you off in the right direction.

Wax

• James Wright
    Participant

I have thought about it. what is your recipe?

• Sides
    Participant

I got it from the link I posted above. I had to convert the proportions to english.

4oz beeswax

2oz mineral spirits

6oz turpentine

I melt the wax in a washed out soup can. I hold the can with pliers in a pot of boiling water. when it’s melted pour it into a larger container holding the mineral spirits and turpentine. Stir it up a little to mix it up, then let it cool. It will be about the consistency of peanut butter.

I apply it with 0000 steel wool, buff with a clean cotton rag.

Make sure you use good turpentine. The stuff in the big box stores sucks. Full of impurities, but it here.

Turpentine

• James Wright
    Participant

Nice. I love asking people because everyone has a recipe they swear by, and most of them are very close.

• Darwin Richards
    Participant

There are many available in the market today that you can choose depending which you prefer, but I am using turpentine for my wooden type entry door.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!