Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic

Travisg
    Participant

I can’t seem to find much information on hand drilling technique. I plan on building my own workbench and want to put dog holes in the top of course. I understand you can create them by using a dado blade on your boards before you glue them up but I’d rather drill holes. I’m sure I will run into many times when I need to drill perfectly perpendicular holes. I’d prefer not to cheat and use a drill press (I don’t have the budget and space for one at the moment anyways). If I stick to traditional hand tools, how do I ensure I do it right? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Author
    Replies
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Travisg,

First, using a particular tool is not cheating, it is just a choice of technique by the individual craftsman. There are several ways to ensure a perpendicular hole. You could use a well tuned and set beam boring machine if you have one around. You can use a square (or squares) as a reference to check the alignment of a brace-and-bit or an auger. One of the more popular methods right now is to create a v block and to use that to keep the brace at right angles to the bench face.

Have fun

• BFgeronimo
    Participant

Drilling holes for your dogs doesn’t require the absolute precision of a drill press. If you use a square as a visual reference and check it every few turns you won’t have any trouble. I actually just eyeballed mine without a square until the auger had a good bite and then finished it out.

OWOF

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtayvNvIa6E

Have fun.

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Travisg
    Participant

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join