Helping Out the Beginners

Helping Out the Beginners 2015-10-25T19:59:17+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Mike in TN
    Participant

A lot of us older folks that have been into old tools and woodworking books for a while probably have more than our share. I thought it would be great if we could somehow get some of our tools, etc. to some of the beginners (regardless of age) that are having so much trouble finding the tools they need. I am not a dealer and while I don’t want to loose money in the bargain, I don’t mind seeing some my pile going to those who truly need them, even if I don’t get top dollar.

Any other folks want to participate in something like this and do you have any ideas on how we could make sure it gets done in a way to meet the goal?

• Author
    Replies
  • James Wright
    Participant

I wish

I wish I could help, but I started with traditional wood working a few months ago. I think this would be a fantastic resource for people in my place (tool budget is $10 a month) or having a list of where other traditional woodworkers are located so I could have a near by friend I could learn from and borrow THAT tool from time to time.

• Mike in TN
    Participant

James,

Nearly every area has some woodworkers around. Try advertising in your local Craigslist or looking into local resources such as community centers that sometimes offer classes. Try asking and posting at local craft and tool stores. Haunt any local craft fairs to find local crafters. They could probably help you locate other woodworkers in your area with similar interests. Woodworkers are a pretty generous lot and I am willing to bet there is a local who would love to have you over for a cup of coffee and some shop time.  In the meantime, if you have specific tool needs post it. Someone here may have an extra laying around.

Have fun

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Bill
    Participant

That’s a good idea, but the implementation is tricky. I think Mike has it right…people who need tools should post a WTB ad and state that they have limited funds, need a starter tool, etc. Then those of us who may have that particular tool can hook them up with a fair price.

• Adamreuter
    Participant

Looking for tools in Georgia

I have decided that I would like to learn traditional woodworking and have absolutely no tools. I would be interested in finding someone local that may have some old tools for sale.

• Eric T
    Participant

Hey Adam,

Where in GA are you located? I’m in south GA.

• Adamreuter
      Participant

I’m in South metro Atlanta. Coweta county.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!