Mandola build

Mandola build 2015-10-07T16:21:43+00:00

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic

JSP
    Participant

Hello folks!

A few months ago I resolved to build a mandola/guitar hybrid, and I just finished up the frame for it. Still a lot of progress (all of it…) to go, but I thought I would share the process here. The entire thing will take twice as long as it should because my only shop is the foot of my bed. That means my work space is about 10 sq. ft. and I am limited to hand tools. Although, I do not see that as much a limitation as I do another means of enjoyment from the project.

Here’s a link to the first part- building the frame.

27-Frame-finished_smaller

Because of file size limitation, I’ll only post a few photos here. A more detailed look at the progress is in the link to my blog.

Cheers!

JSP

• Author
    Replies
  • JSP
    Participant

Had to build another frame to use as a press for the sides, and the progress is slow going. The bends are still giving me a few problems, but hopefully that will be resolved before too long!

Frame build here

• Bill
    Participant

Looking good…I’m dying to build a guitar. Been lurking on LMI and StewMac’s sites trying to decide between buying a kit or just doing it from scratch.

• JSP
    Participant

Thanks Bill! Although I’m still in the area of having no idea what I’m doing, I highly recommend it! LMI makes it really easy to get everything you need (I would have forgotten about half the pieces) while still having you do all the building work. I got a box with essentially the correct number of pieces of lumber in sizes that make sense for whatever piece they will become. Wood was top quality and arrived without any problems.

• JSP
    Participant

I’ve gotten a fair amount done on this since I last checked in, and now it’s nearing time to decide what to do about the neck situation. Sides are bent, top and back jointed and joined, and braces and kerfing fitted. Here are the links to the project journal if you are interested-

Steam bending

Side assembly

Part I of the internal skeleton

Doing this all by hand has certainly been a challenge at times, but I would not do it any other way. I have already learned a tremendous amount and developed a deeper connection with the tools and how to accurately use them for precision work that I have, until now, never really explored.

Cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!