Marking knife

//Marking knife
Marking knife 2016-02-02T08:56:26+00:00
  • Creator

James Wright

I have now used 12 or more marking knives and have not come up with one I really like. what do you use and why?

• Author
  • Joshua Farnsworth

My marking knife

Hi James,

I also tried a bunch of marking knives. The chip carving knife really works nice for me. I talk about it in this buying guide. That’s what I saw Roy Underhill use in his classes.

• James Wright

Sweet! I missed the knife section when going through there!

• Mike in TN

After trying several different types, I have settled on a detail carving knife as my favorite marking knife. It just seems to cut better and sharpens easier than my other marking knives. Of course I sometimes use a chisel also for longer straight marks.

Have fun

• Oakenarm

My daughter bought me a pair (3/4 and 1/4 inch) of Hock Japanese style marking knives. I have been really happy with them so far. The 1/4″ one is really handy when marking interior cuts in tight spaces.

• BFgeronimo

I know this is probably not the “right” answer, but I’ve given up on any of the knives I have and tend to just go for my box cutter. One of these days I may buy a good set of marking knives like on Josh’s link, but I have a long list of tools i want/ need before I get there

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!