Need buying advice

Need buying advice 2017-11-19T11:19:37+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

michaelspores
    Participant

Hello people.  I would like to add a walnut burl veneer to a couple of drawer fronts.  And I would like to find 1/8″ or 1/16 inch thick pieces.  But the only places selling thick veneer don’t have burl available.  Nor can I find a drawer-sized piece that I could take to a shop for resaw.  Can anyone lend me a hand?  I would REALLY appreciate it!

• Author
    Replies
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Michael,

Thick veneer is definitely not a massed produced item. Here is what I would do. Look online for a specialty lumber dealer that appears to have the raw material (in general) in stock and then give them a call to make sure they can fill your exact needs. If you can’t resaw them yourself (a useful skill to learn) l would ask the supplier if they offer milling services or find a local shop to do it for you. If you happen to be in East Tennessee drop me email and I can saw it for you if need be.  If all else fails you may have to abandon using a solid single veneer and do some other configuration of pieced veneer, use another species dyed to match the look you are after, or learn decorative painting to simulate the desired look, which is a very traditional practice.

Have fun and please do post photos of your finished project.

• michaelspores
    Participant

Thanks

Thanks Mike. Kind of you to offer to resaw for me, but I am in Olympia WA. I wouldn’t Mind taking something to a local shop for resaw, but I don’t see walnut burl in the dimensions I’m looking for. I need about 3 x 13”. I’m beginning to think using the paper thin stuff is my only real option.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!