Need help with restoration 2016-06-15T15:56:10+00:00
  • Author
    Replies
  • Ryan Rose
    Participant

I also found a makers mark. A.C Bartlett. Ohio tool co

• James Wright
    Participant

The iron should be handled the same way (remove rust and sharpen up, make sure the chip breaker is tight) the body looks to be well twisted and very dry and cracked. first, I would clean off the dust with a rag and maybe a bit of soapy water on the rag. Then, I would use BLO and let it saturate to give the wood a bit more life. next flatten the sole with your #5 and some winding sticks. last make sure the wedge and iron still seat well. I am assuming the handle is tight but I am guessing that is a bad assumption.

• Ryan Rose
    Participant

Thanks for the help. The sole is almost dead flat when i checked it with a square. Handle is solid. The iron and chip breaker seem to be in good condition other than rust, and looks like someone did thier adjustments with a metal hammer do to the mushrooming. I appreciate the help. Ill post pics when i get it done.

• James Wright
    Participant

Make sure to check it for twist. a square will not point that out and it looks like there is about 1/8″ twist from the picture. but that could just be the picture.

Yes they would have been adjusted with a hammer a few taps in the right place can put it right where you need it to be.

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Ryan Rose
    Participant

There was a slight twist, so i got that out and made sure the sole was flat and steaight. Light sanding on the body. And a half hour soak in blo this is what i have. The handle broke while removing it, so i will have to make another. I soaked the iron and chip breaker in white vinegar and most of the rust is off.

20160616_003035

20160616_003134

• Mike in TN
      Participant

Hi aBitknotty,

I love your screen name by the way. It just goes to show that a lot of the old woodies that have flaws (major cracks, rust, loose handles, etc.) can be restored to give useful service and doing so can extend the life of the tool.

Two other tricks that I have found useful in some of the old planes. With blades that have  bad pitting, it can be very difficult to flatten the backs but the pitting can often be eliminated using the “ruler trick” effectively moving the edge deeper into solid metal. Wooden handles are often weak due to short grain. Original handles can be made useful again by drilling a hole up the handle and gluing in a long grain dowel for reinforcement.

Have fun

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Ryan Rose
    Participant

My progress on the iron and chip breaker so far, its 90* in my shop so its slow going i try to do all my work in the morning or at night.

20160616_171552

• Ryan Rose
    Participant

This old plane is back to work. I still have to repair or replace the handle, and the iron could use a little more time on the strop. Thank you guys so much for your help, I wouldnt even have attempted it without your advice.

20160617_141944

20160617_143658

• Ryan Rose
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!