New to woodworking in ga

New to woodworking in ga 2015-11-03T20:59:11+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Adamreuter
    Participant

I am completely new to woodworking, meaning I currently have no tools and have yet to start a project. With that said, I have a strong interest in learning and believe it could be quite therapeutic. I am 32 years old, father of 4 (with another due in feb), a husbanf, corrections officer, and combat vet. An army buddy recently took up woodworking and recommended it as it has been extremely beneficial for him. I spend so much time online, or connected to some sort of digital box that I believe having a retreat from tech would be highly enjoyable. The solitary work is also very appealing. I was recently diagnosed with ptsd (after many years of denial and hardheadednessss) and I think this outlet could serve better than the pharmaceuticals the VA has offered. I say all of this to ask, if anyone in motor Atlanta has basic tools they no longer need, please let me know as I would be interested in buying some. Thank you.

• Author
    Replies
  • James Wright
    Participant

Nice to have you on. You may want to try local garage sales. That is where I got most all of mine as I do not know of another hand tool woodworker around me. Alot of time the garage sales have no idea what they have and you can get it for a steel. But you are at the mercy of what you might find.

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Adamreuter,

You might want to post the same ad in your local Craigslist since there will be more local folks see it there. Highland Woodworking would probably also be a good place to go and talk to folks. They might be able to steer you to local groups to help get you started.

Have fun

• Adamreuter
    Participant

Thanks

I appreciate both of your responses. I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!