• Creator
    Topic

Nikk
    Participant

Hi Folks,

thought I’d give you guys a little tour of handball workshop. But first a few words to my person:

My name’s Nikk and I live in Northern Germany between Hamburg and Bremen. Trained to be a farmer and hobbyist woodworker I’m now a Joiners apprentice and becoming a professional now. I also have a machine workshop in the same barn on my families farm, but thats not of interest in this forum. With my personal furniture projects I work mostly by hand. Sometimes I even do my stock preparation by hand and enjoy it a lot if I do. But often things just have to get finished.

My handtool workshop is a square room 11 x 11 ft. It used to be a chicken coop when I was a child.  It fits a Roubo Style workbench with a wooden screwed leg vice and a Veritas end vice:

P2220589

Its long, heavy (5″ thick top) and quite low, ideal for planing but to low for detailed work and joinery which made me lo</span>ng for a joinery bench. Here it is,  inspired by Renaissance Woodworker and others:

Both benches are build from European beech and reclaimed construction lumber for the base. There is a copy of Roy Underhill’s nail cabinet and a drillpress:

P2220587

as well as a sharpening station with japanese water stones:

P1050475

The first and the last picture are a bit older. The Nail cabinet doesn’t have a door yet and still sits on the opposite wall.

As you can see, my workshop and my way to work is heavily influenced by C.S. There’s even a dutch tool chest… ATC still to be build…

I work with mix of old and new tools. Wooden planes, traditional German and Krenov style, and Stanley Bailey #4, #5 , #6 and #8 and can’t decide which I like more.

Hope you enjoy the pics and keep the questions coming!

Nikk

• Author
    Replies
  • rickg3
    Participant

Nice space! Thanks for the tour!

I would like to have a dedicated room like that I go back and forth between bedroom and garage depending on the weather. I have a dutch tool chest and a small  nicholson bench (naked woodworker).

I am beginning to amass a small collection of old planes. I enjoy fixing them and using them!

rick

• DennyT
    Participant

Nikk,

is is that a hand operated bench drill press

i would love to have one but they cost a lot here

DennyT

• Nikk
    Participant

Hi Denny,

it’s indeed a hand cranked bench drill. I found it on ebay one day and had to have it. I use it not very often though, because the feed mechanism is a bit finicky to adjust and I own another huge cast iron drill press. For some reason it works incredibly well with forester bits!

Best!

Nikk

• DennyT
    Participant

Great Nikk,

would love to see the big one you have and name of manufacturer.

Dennyt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.