Nikk's Shop

//Nikk's Shop
Nikk's Shop 2015-08-16T14:50:25+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Nikk
    Participant

Hi Folks,

thought I’d give you guys a little tour of handball workshop. But first a few words to my person:

My name’s Nikk and I live in Northern Germany between Hamburg and Bremen. Trained to be a farmer and hobbyist woodworker I’m now a Joiners apprentice and becoming a professional now. I also have a machine workshop in the same barn on my families farm, but thats not of interest in this forum. With my personal furniture projects I work mostly by hand. Sometimes I even do my stock preparation by hand and enjoy it a lot if I do. But often things just have to get finished.

My handtool workshop is a square room 11 x 11 ft. It used to be a chicken coop when I was a child.  It fits a Roubo Style workbench with a wooden screwed leg vice and a Veritas end vice:

P2220589

Its long, heavy (5″ thick top) and quite low, ideal for planing but to low for detailed work and joinery which made me lo</span>ng for a joinery bench. Here it is,  inspired by Renaissance Woodworker and others:

Both benches are build from European beech and reclaimed construction lumber for the base. There is a copy of Roy Underhill’s nail cabinet and a drillpress:

P2220587

as well as a sharpening station with japanese water stones:

P1050475

The first and the last picture are a bit older. The Nail cabinet doesn’t have a door yet and still sits on the opposite wall.

As you can see, my workshop and my way to work is heavily influenced by C.S. There’s even a dutch tool chest… ATC still to be build…

I work with mix of old and new tools. Wooden planes, traditional German and Krenov style, and Stanley Bailey #4, #5 , #6 and #8 and can’t decide which I like more.

Hope you enjoy the pics and keep the questions coming!

Nikk

• Author
    Replies
  • rickg3
    Participant

Nice space! Thanks for the tour!

I would like to have a dedicated room like that I go back and forth between bedroom and garage depending on the weather. I have a dutch tool chest and a small  nicholson bench (naked woodworker).

I am beginning to amass a small collection of old planes. I enjoy fixing them and using them!

rick

• DennyT
    Participant

Nikk,

is is that a hand operated bench drill press

i would love to have one but they cost a lot here

DennyT

• Nikk
    Participant

Hi Denny,

it’s indeed a hand cranked bench drill. I found it on ebay one day and had to have it. I use it not very often though, because the feed mechanism is a bit finicky to adjust and I own another huge cast iron drill press. For some reason it works incredibly well with forester bits!

Best!

Nikk

• DennyT
    Participant

Great Nikk,

would love to see the big one you have and name of manufacturer.

Dennyt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!