PMV-11 Chisels worth it?

//PMV-11 Chisels worth it?
PMV-11 Chisels worth it? 2015-07-15T09:07:25+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

manifolded
    Participant

I’ve been looking at the Veritas bench chisel sets at leevalley, because I’m beginning to want to upgrade my Narex chisels (they’ve been great, I just think I’d enjoy a higher quality chisel). Veritas offers their bench chisels in PM-V11 steel, as well as more traditional A2 steel (see links below).

Chisels in PM-V11 Steel

Chisels in A2 Steel

Naturally, there’s a difference in price. I have some of Veritas’ plane blades in PM-V11 and have felt that they really do stay sharper for longer, and sharpen up very easily on diamond stones + a strop. My question is, is this worth it for chisels? When I chop dovetails / mortises, I usually keep the strop nearby for my Narex chisels, so that I can touch up the edge every few minutes. Would the PM-V11 really be a huge improvement? Should I be looking at a different set of chisels?

• Author
    Replies
  • Bill White
    Participant

Guess that I'm stuck in the past.

I have an assortment of old chisels.  The ones I use the most are Pexto, Stanley 750s, and (my favs) W. Butcher cast steel.

I use water stones, a hard Arkansas, and a strop.

I’ve not been too excited about the “exotic” metals.  Just me, but mine work well.

Bill

• Jonathan Moore
    Participant

I too have been looking to purchase a new set of chisels. The pm-v11 steel caught my attention when i was looking. I found a good article comparing it to A2 steel.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/veritas-pm-v11-tool-steel.aspx

• Mike in TN
    Participant

Worth It?

First, if money is not an issue and these are what you want then go for it.

The idea of a particular tool being “worth it” is highly personal. I have WAY too many chisels, some cheap beaters, Ashley Iles, some Japanese chisels, Stanleys, a Lee Valley set with plastic handles, some old Buck Brothers, a couple sets of Narex, some WoodRiver, a set of Berg Bahco and my latest being some of the WorkZone chisels from Aldi. I normally have at least two sets of some type at the bench and the rest are nearby. My selection for any given task is dependent upon all of the common factors.

Chisels are pretty basic tools, just a sharp (hopefully) piece of metal with some sort of handle and pretty much everything else (length, thickness, handle attachment type, handle type, shape, and material, balance, relief on the sides, hardness, etc.) is driven by  suitability to the task and the preference of the user.

I am sure that the Veritas chisels are good tools but I don’t think that simple edge retention is going to drive me to selecting a particular brand. I haven’t tried them out (anyone that wants to is welcome to send me a free set) but nearly all of my tools keep their edges well enough to keep me happy between sharpening and seem to give me good service at the bench. Considering that all of my Narex chisels and three or four sets of the WorkZone chisels together sill wouldn’t cost me as much as just a couple of the PM-V11  chisels, I don’t think it would be worth it for me.  I will just sharpen my chisels a little more often and save the cash for something else I want but don’t really need.

In case anyone is interested, I bought one set of the Aldi chisels after seeing Paul Sellers’ video. I sharpened them up and tried them out on some hardwood scraps for a couple of hours. I was so impressed with them I bought nine more sets as extras and gifts to friends and relatives. They were consistently as good, IMHO, as my Narex chisels and only cost me about $7.50 per set of four.

• Nikk
    Participant

I’d recomend a look at the Ashley Isles MK II chisels. Very nice, very sharp and a good price.

In my book the PM-V11 steel makes a huge difference with plane irons but chisels get blunt very quickly anyway and you have to resharpen more often.

• Derek Cohen
    Participant

In chisels the Veritas PM-V11 steel is second only to White Steel in edge holding. It sharpens easier than A2, and holds it several times longer.

Article: Four Chisel Steels Compared

The Veritas chisels are very nice – comfortable to hold and well balanced. However chisels are a personal tool, and it is not always about the steel, but about how the chisel feels in your hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!