Sharp Tool Mystery

//Sharp Tool Mystery
Sharp Tool Mystery 2016-11-27T20:46:57+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Mike in TN
    Participant

<p style=”margin: 0px 0px 13px;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>I have encountered a peculiar situation and wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. On several occasions I have put a final pristine edge on carving tools, tested them against wood, oiled them, placed some them into tool rolls (of different materials) or left loose (in racks) and then into the tool boxes where I store them. Invariably upon retrieving them (normally after about a couple of weeks or so), still oiled and with no evidence of rust or physical damage, the edges just don’t cut as well as they originally did. After simple honing/stropping the edges are restored to the original condition. This seems to happen regardless of the tool type or manufacturer, or age of the tool.</span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0px 0px 13px;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>I don’t believe my standards change while the tools are stored and, again, there is no visible evidence of anything affecting the edge. I assume this situation applies to other highly sharpened tools but I haven’t noticed it with any of my other tools yet.</span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0px 0px 13px;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>Anyone else every experienced this phenomena and does anyone have any guess as to what is going on? I considered that there might be a minute amount of corrosion, or perhaps the ghost of a previous owner might be sneaking them out for a little work. </span><span style=”margin: 0px;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”> </span></span><span style=”margin: 0px;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”> </span></span></p>

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!