Stanley 4 finishing plane

//Stanley 4 finishing plane
Stanley 4 finishing plane 2015-07-05T13:55:05+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Seth Ruffin
    Participant

A Stanley number 4 was the first plane I bought and I had figured on it being the only one I had for about a year. After reading Joshua’s list and reading a some others comments it seemed a number 4 would be enough to get me by on any project. I hounded eBay for a couple weeks and was able to get this one for about $20. It took me a while to refurbish but that was mostly because of the sandpaper I had bought, a couple swipes and the section of sandpaper I was using was pretty useless. Once I got better sandpaper and some nice sharpening stones for Christmas it works wonderfully. I’ll post some pictures of the refurbished plan later but here are pictures of it right out of the mail.

• Author
    Replies
  • Seth Ruffin
    Participant

Here are the pictures of after I refurbished the plane. I did it the same as one of the videos on Joshua’s site. I sanded the bottom square, marking up the bottom with sharpie so I knew when it was done well. Then I squared the sides, checking it with a combination square. I then cleaned up the frog and the frog contact points. I wire wheeled the lever and the brass pieces. Lastly, I cleaned up the blade and sharpened it. When I got the plane in the mail it was really hard to use and barely took a shaving mostly just dust. After I refurbished it did worlds better though after I got actual water stones at Christmas it really started to sing.

Finished-Stanely-4

• Esmith9902
    Participant

Looks great!

Looks great

• acritell
      Participant

Great work there’s no better feeling than finishing and looking at how nice it came out

• theolithic71
    Participant

Finishing?

Curios…

What makes this a “finishing” plane?

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant

Oops

Really is just a Smoothing plane. Not sure why I called it a finishing plane.

• Mike in TN
    Participant

Tool Restoration

Seth,

Nice looking plane you have there.

• vanislescotty
    Participant

Congrats on nice job

Nice job. I’m about six planes behind refurbishing. I’ve been concentrating on rehabbing 4 sets of chisels, about 20 in total. It’s inspiring to see other’s work. Makes me look forward to when I get to mine, including two that I recently was given that belonged to my wife’s grandfather.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!