Stanley 45 cam rest

//Stanley 45 cam rest
Stanley 45 cam rest 2017-07-23T21:34:06+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Misanthrope
    Participant

Got my grubby little paws on almost complete Stanley 45.  However, the cam rest is missing the post and screw.  Does any one have the dimensions for the post and screw size for the cam rest?  It’s the later type cam rest per Leach’s Blood and Gore.

Thanks,

Gerry

• Author
    Replies
  • Joshua Farnsworth
    Keymaster

Photo?

For us non-engineers, will you please upload a photo with arrows to point out exactly what you need? I’ve got several Stanley 45 planes, but don’t know the names of all the little parts.

• Misanthrope
    Participant

Pictures for Packers Fans

For those of you who are Packer’s fans, it’s the curvy, roundy, thingy sitting on the toe of the plane.  I had to post a real picture, as all the of local Packer Backer’s ate my crayons….

Gerry

Attachments:
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Misanthrope,

Congratulations on the find. Sorry I took so long to answer but here goes. I measured the parts but have to guess on the threads-per-inch since I don’t have a thread gauge. The screw thread could be a 1/4 inch outside diameter, 28 or a 32 TPI and I would recommend going to a specialty fastener dealer and trying them since Stanley is widely known for using unusual thread configurations.  First there is a brass pin (post?) that goes in the hole that applies the pressure to the arm when the screw is tightened. Mine measured o.507 in. long and 0.205 in. diameter. It allows clamping without the screw turning against the arm. The screw itself was 0.508 long overall with the head measuring 0.375 in. diameter and 0.152 in. thick, reducing down to 0.250 outside diameter for the remainder of the length.

Hope this helps and have fun.

• Misanthrope
    Participant

Mike,

Thanks.  Went to the Borg, the big Orange box, and none of the standard machine screws fit.  May have to try Grainger.  Thanks on the sizing for the stop.  May have to custom cut some brass rod.

Gerry

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!