Stanley Type 3 Jack Plane??

//Stanley Type 3 Jack Plane??
Stanley Type 3 Jack Plane?? 2017-09-05T11:13:28+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

christospete
    Participant

I recently bought a Stanley Jack plane at a flea market.  In researching it seemed to be a match for a type 3 (1872-1873) jack plane except that it has a corrugated bottom which Stanley didn’t produce until the 1890s. If my research is correct I know that parts of the plane can be assembled from different years.  I think the plane blade is newer than the rest of the plane.  The bottom of the plane is not flat so I would like to flatten it and clean it up a bit but don’t want to do too much restoring incase the plane has collector value.

The Jack plane is 13 3/4” long, 2 3/8” wide and the blade is 2” wide.

Please see pictures attached.

Thank you

• Author
    Replies
  • Sides
    Participant

It looks to be in pretty good shape. Did you use the flow chart on hyperkitten? I wouldn’t worry about collector value, if the plane has parts from different types. The collectors usually want every thing must match for the type, in top condition too. I would clean it up and use it, that is just me. Nice find.

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi Cristopete,

Like Sides said, most collectors want their planes to be rare, and/or in pristine condition, Typing a plane can get complicated due to the fact that many manufacturers would continue to use up old inventory when assembling parts, where those parts are interchangeable, and many previous owners would change out parts over time. Later on, several manufacturers began producing “clones” of the Stanley planes and even the individual parts were interchangeable, so you have to look at each part of an old plane to make sure each part has all of the features of the original. Your plane definitely has some parts with the features of older types but my opinion is that you may have a “franken” plane with a part or parts from different planes. This isn’t a problem for a user as long as all the parts work well together.

Considering the condition, like Sides, I wouldn’t worry about hurting the collector value and would just go ahead and tune it up and put it to use which beats putting it under glass to look at.

Have fun

1 user thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!