What is the best finish for a nob and handle of a plane.

//What is the best finish for a nob and handle of a plane.
What is the best finish for a nob and handle of a plane. 2015-06-09T11:29:12+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

augcampos
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m restoring a hold <span style=”font-family: Georgia, ‘Times New Roman’, Times, serif; font-size: large; line-height: normal;”> </span><span style=”font-family: Georgia, ‘Times New Roman’, Times, serif; font-size: large; line-height: normal;”>Stanley (type 19 1948-1961).</span>

For the nob and handle I’m thinking on use linseed oil and some polyurethane varnish. Anyone recommend anything?

This will be a working plane in my shop

Augusto Campos

• Author
    Replies
  • Willard Anderson
    Participant

I have found that MinWax Antique Oil Finish (red rectangular quart can with white script) is a great finish for planes.  Available at discriminating local hardware stores or also at Rockler and Woodcraft online.  It is a quick drying oil, high build, but leaves a satin finish.  Very user friendly.  I have been frustrated by some other oil finishes (Danish Oil, Watco), which polymerize in the can after opening.  Not so with this finish.  BTW I have tried all of the tricks known to man to prevent  polymerization.  More of a problem with the higher gloss oils.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!