Wood shavings and what to do with them?

//Wood shavings and what to do with them?
Wood shavings and what to do with them? 2015-06-19T19:31:48+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Daniel
    Participant

So I’m making a lot of wood shavings, how can I use them? Is there even a use for them?

If there is no use for them, what is the best way to get them off my garage floor?
    I’m still new to working wood and I’ve made more saw dust than shavings in my limited experience. After finding Joshua’s site I have been inspired to focus more on hand tools, particularly planes. Now I’m making a lot more shavings and thinking maybe there is a use for them?

Any thoughts?

• Author
    Replies
  • Don
    Participant

Wood Shavings

Well to get them off the floor of your shop use a Shop Vac, which is better than a broom as the broom will put sawdust back in the air.  If you live in town the best solution is to bag them and set them out for the trash.  If you live in a rural setting you can always burn them, especially if you have a wood stove.  You can make fire starters with them, which is just to put some shavings or sawdust in a cup cake pan and them pour hot wax over them.  Allow  to cool until solid and they make good fire starters for  the wood stove.  Other uses are to let them compost with other materials for use on the garden or for mulch.  Let the shavings compost a good long time as in a fresh state they will use up available nitrogen in the soil.  Hope one of these suggestions work for you.

Don

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • Daniel
    Participant

Nice suggestions, I’ll try the wax idea for fun.

• Yorkshire Sam
    Participant

bag them up

I bag mine up … usually end up with about 2-3 bin bags full every two weeks or so I then take them down to my local allotment where there are plenty of chicken keepers who are very grateful for the supply. Helps to keep the environment dump down this way.

• MetalworkerMike
    Participant

I put mine in the ‘green bin’ for compostable waste.  The same bin we put orange-peels and egg-shells in.

Softwood shavings (not planer chips) can be used for horse bedding, but some hardwood shavings can’t (reacts badly with the urine) so mixed shavings aren’t wanted.

M.Mike

• mshacklady
    Participant

I put mine on my compost heap – works really well because they are thin. They break down really quickly.

They could also be used as mulch in the garden. You may want to spray them with water to weigh them down a bit so they don’t blow away with the wind.

I live in an old house with no insulation in the walls. I wonder if I went into the attic and dropped them down the wall cavities whether they would make any difference to the insulation of the house?

• Joe
    Participant

I also suggest using them for compost, or if you don’t compost yourself, but an ad on Craigslist under the heading “Compost”.  Someone will take them from you.

Ranked #1 Dad by J.D. Power & Associates

• realcat2
    Participant

Drying Wood

When I turn bowls I collect the chips and shavings and put them in a box with the bowl to help slow down the drying process. It works quite well.

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant

I agree with the composting comments.

I also use my for cleanup. After gluing or if I need to glue on top of my bench I spread shavings on top of my bench or use them to wipe up. I got this idea from watching Paul Seller’s bench building video.

If I don’t use for clean up or composting, I use it for kindling. I don’t make fire-starters like above but just use it as kindling. My dad use to do the fire-starter kits though.

• SamGordon
    Participant

Always Keep Some

Hi.
    I live in a humid area, and my shed has zero insulation so I always like to keep some on hand for panel glue ups that warp.
    I wet the shavings a little, place the panels on stickers and wait until the panel flattens out, plus I use them in my rabbit hutch to line the base.

• leeh522
    Participant

Save them

Every time I use a new wood type I fill one former plastic peanut butter jar with the shavings and mark it with a sharpie with the date and type of wood. Then if I ever need to use the sawdust to fill a crack or void I get the jar out and use it for a near perfect match.

• rickg3
    Participant

Give them away

I give shavings to relatives with wood stoves. They wrap some in newspaper and use them for starting fires. We also have trails in our woods. I save shavings and my cousin spreads them on the trails.

• JSP
    Participant

I usually have a small box of them lying around too. As with the others, I use them for cleaning up glue and humidity control. Also, if I have shavings rather than dust, I sometimes use them to burnish the wood they came off of. Or, if dust rather than shavings, for mixing with glue for small gap filling.

• Clifton
    Participant

Scrap wood

If you really want to explore some material options. You can use left over chips to make your own particle boards. It’s not super practical in trying to make large boards but I find the process of making things like this to be pretty fun. You can also use sawdust for woodchips. I saw one student save woodchips from turning and make them into another form and turn that as well. A lot of work though, honestly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!