Workbench Vise

//Workbench Vise
Workbench Vise 2015-10-24T01:31:47+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

MaxJPind
    Participant

I have been working on my first dedicated “woodworking” bench and I have been trying to decide what work holding methods I need/want. I don’t have a lot of money to spend so I bought a cheap press clamp to build a carriage vise into the bench. Has anyone here messed with creating bench vises with pipe clamps or F clamps? I have seen a few examples around the web but I just cant help wonder if they would be more trouble than an entry level face vise (like Pony or Woodcraft). I know I should just save up and get a Lee Valley but my budget can barely handle finishing my bench as it is. Any input will be much appreciated.

• Author
    Replies
  • Bill
    Participant

In my opinion you will do much better and be happier with a decent vise rather than a rigged contraption made with clamps.  While the latter will certainly work in a pinch, the cumbersome mechanics of using it will wear thin very quickly.

For my first bench I bought a vise off Amazon for $60 and made my own jaws.  That vise will probably outlast me.  I think too much is sometimes made of things – like the Veritas vise.  They certainly aren’t the end-all/be-all.  They’re nice – but lots of things work very well – some would even say better – and cost a whole lot less.

Another one to consider is the 9″ Eclipse vise from Highand – maybe Lee Valley…can’t remember which.

That’s my two cents worth anyway!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!