Beginning woodturner

Beginning woodturner 2015-07-19T08:26:57+00:00
Tom Baker
Participant
Post count: 7

Beginning woodturner

Jonathan,
I’ve found the best source for learning woodtyrning to be YouTube. Search for which aspect of turning you are interested in: turning bowls, spindle turning, using the skew, sharpening wood lathe tools, etc., etc., etc. The amount of material and number of regular craftsman with regular videos is enormous.
I’ve learned 98% of my knowledge there, the other 2% being practice.
As for a lathe recommendation, unless you are positive you will continue to master the craft & want to do bigger & better in thd future, I suggest ond of the Harbor Freight lathes.http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=woodworking+lathe
I purchased the cheepest one, the 40″ lathe, and have been experimenting with all aspects of turning: spindle, endgrain platter, and even offset turning for a cabriole leg. All are coming out to my satisfaction.
If you have no Harbor Freight near you, or are located outside the U. S., I’ve been watching turners in europe on YouTube with the same lathe but different name. Look for tool dealers selling lathes made in China.
Hope this helps ….

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!