Four plane cambered iron

//Four plane cambered iron
Four plane cambered iron 2016-01-07T17:20:37+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

James Wright
    Participant

I have wanted to make a cambered iron for my #5 for a wile but I made the limitation that I would not use power tools in any of my shop projects and I did not want to shape the iron by hand with sand paper or files just due to the time involved.

But with 400 BF of rough white oak sitting there I needed one so I bit the bullet grabbed the sand paper and went to town.

The amazing thing is it only took me 5 minutes or so to get the shape and a few more to sharpen it.

I was blown away at how easy it was and how long I had been putting it off.

I don’t know if there is a moral to this story but I would say it surprised me so much it was worth a post. I was expecting 1-2 hours and in the end it was only 15 minutes from picking the plane up to putting it away.

• Author
    Replies
  • Sides
    Participant

James,

You need a hand crank grinding wheel. They work great.

• James Wright
    Participant

I almost bought one a few weeks back A guy had a 18″ wheal with a hand crank. but I could not get the money together and a decorator got it.

• Sides
    Participant

I almost bought one a few weeks back A guy had a 18″ wheal with a hand crank. but I could not get the money together and a decorator got it.

That is a huge hand cranker. Mine will take a 6″ wheel. I think I paid $25 for it on eBay.

• James Wright
    Participant

Ya it was fairly cool. it was geared down from the hand crank so once you got it going it was easy to keep going.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!