• Creator
    Topic
    James Wright
    Participant

I have wanted to make a cambered iron for my #5 for a wile but I made the limitation that I would not use power tools in any of my shop projects and I did not want to shape the iron by hand with sand paper or files just due to the time involved.

But with 400 BF of rough white oak sitting there I needed one so I bit the bullet grabbed the sand paper and went to town.

The amazing thing is it only took me 5 minutes or so to get the shape and a few more to sharpen it.

I was blown away at how easy it was and how long I had been putting it off.

I don’t know if there is a moral to this story but I would say it surprised me so much it was worth a post. I was expecting 1-2 hours and in the end it was only 15 minutes from picking the plane up to putting it away.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • Sides
      Participant

James,

You need a hand crank grinding wheel. They work great.

• James Wright
      Participant

I almost bought one a few weeks back A guy had a 18″ wheal with a hand crank. but I could not get the money together and a decorator got it.

• Sides
      Participant

I almost bought one a few weeks back A guy had a 18″ wheal with a hand crank. but I could not get the money together and a decorator got it.

That is a huge hand cranker. Mine will take a 6″ wheel. I think I paid $25 for it on eBay.

• James Wright
      Participant

Ya it was fairly cool. it was geared down from the hand crank so once you got it going it was easy to keep going.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.