Hand Tool Cabinet

//Hand Tool Cabinet
Hand Tool Cabinet 2015-10-05T01:30:13+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

BFgeronimo
    Participant

Hey guys. I’m in the middle of overhauling and re-setting up my shop. I am planning on building a good cabinet for over my bench for my hand tools. I had one I put together before, but it was way too small for everything I use. I found a pretty nice design in a book my wife gave me called Woodworking Wisdom and Know-How.

Anyway, was just curious about what some of you might have put together

OWOF

• Author
    Replies
  • Neal
    Participant

My storage solution(s)

BF, I’ve also had to come up with something to better organize my tools (growing collection). I have started to document it on my blog (Confessions of an Amateur

Luthier). Check my latest post out at:

https://npcarey.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/a-little-tool-work/

• Sides
    Participant

Old School

I am still using a small English tool chest my Grandfather made for me for Christmas in 1968, when I was 8. Yikes my wife is getting old! I still use a chest, because I work in my garage, and I live in the Chicago suburbs. It the winter, I bring the chest inside. Too cold to work in the garage. I do most of my reading and project planning then. We are thing of moving when we retire. That is when I will have a dedicated shop inside the house or heated outbuilding. Then I may do something different.

• vreed
    Participant

Dutch Tool Chest

I am wanting to build a Dutch Tool Chest, such as the one by Christopher Schwarz.  Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6v34HSnelU#t=40

• Mike Rhoads
    Participant

+1 on this topic!

I’ll be following this thread closely.  My family and I recently moved and so now I’m starting my workshop from scratch in a small, unfinished room in the basement.  In my previous shop, I was spoiled with some built-in storage so I never ended up building a tool cabinet.

• aeichorn
    Participant

Tool Chest

Good luck on the reorganization of your shop.  It seems to be an never ending process for me. Check out Steve Johnson’s video on using the 5-S process on your shop.

The right tool chest depends a lot on the size of your shop and the kind of work you do.  I need something compact and movable.  I built the Dutch Tool Chest modified by adding a 3.5″ drawer in the middle and also added casters.  It’s really heavy when fully loaded.  I keep it right by the bench when I’m working.  I I plan on adding a base with two or three drawers versus Chris Schwartz added his as open bay.  The drawers will really be trays for carving tools that I would take out and sit on the bench.  It’s more to raise the height of the chest than storage.  However, my guess is this addition is going to make it too tall and unwieldy and I’ll start over.

For another nice chest also check out the one by Mike Pekovich of Fine Woodworking.  In some ways it’s a better size because it really helps you trim the contents down to the “A list tools” you use all the time.

• anrivera1
    Participant

Dutch Tool Chest

I agree with the Dutch Tool Chest. That would be a great tool chest by Christopher Swartz

• BFgeronimo
    Participant

The Dutch tool chest is pretty cool, but not quite what I am looking to do. I have limited space (13′ x 20′) and right now have most of what I use hanging on boards over my bench. I have a picture of what I am looking to build

OWOF

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!