Lumber sources

//Lumber sources
Lumber sources 2015-10-24T14:17:47+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

KennyG
    Participant

I am just starting in wood working. I don’t have any good lumber stores in my area other then the big box stores. Are there any good ones on the internet?

• Author
    Replies
  • Phil_H
    Participant

Kenny,

An excellent resource for seasoned timber is old table tops. Sometimes they are given away free because they are scratched or the kids have drawn on them etc. The older the better, stay away from the modern ones as they are mostly veneered chipboard, compressed cardboard or something equally horrible with the thinnest wafer thin veneer.

I have had a couple of lovely bits of pine, mahogany, oak and ash this way. Yes you have to put a bit of work in to get the timber but if its free, its worth it! I have also been given some beautiful tables that I just could not bring myself to cut up so they were restored and resold splitting the profits with the original owner. Its a good way to learn finishing techniques too and if you are just starting out then the practice in squaring up the timber is invaluable, not to mention any financial gain :-)

Old solid doors can sometimes give rise to beautiful small boxes.

• KennyG
    Participant

Phil_H

Thanks Phil good ideas. Will check that out.
    Kenny

• vinceparisi
    Participant

Lumber buying

As far as buying lumber from big box stores, it is always my last option. The price paid for lumber at these store is almost always the highest way to pay for lumber.

Decent lumber can be found in discarded pallets. Not all pallets are the same and it may take some looking but every so often a pallet used for machinery yields a fair amount of wood. You can look online to find the best and easiest way to disassemble a pallet, since they are put together pretty well.

You may not realize, but I read that in this country, more hardwood is used in the making of pallets then for anything else.

I live in Ohio, and once in awhile that a trip to Amish country. The area is loaded with pallet making companies and they will sell hardwood cut-offs or other unused pieces at a very reasonable price.

I’ve also had luck buying lumber at auctions. When someone downsizes or a company goes out of business the auctions they have or the sales they have can produce some good buys as well.

Good luck and keep your eyes open. You may be surprised at what you may find.

• Mike in TN
    Participant

Hi KennyG,

As you may have already guessed, woodworkers are always interested in trying to keep their costs down. Salvage, as the other posters have suggested, is always good and construction sites often have a lot of scraps they are glad to get rid of. Some woodworking prefers and almost demands the use of green woods and someone is always taking down a problem tree. It can either become firewood, bowls, spoons or windsor chairs. Estate sales often yield some good stashes, A lot of areas have folks operating sawmills where you can buy green lumber. You can save a bundle, and often get better quality and unique species by learning to air dry, and eventually kiln dry your own. Local new lumber is nearly always cheaper just because lumber is heavy and costly to ship. Always save the good stuff for projects and use the cheap or free stuff when practicing and trying out the tools. An internet search will yield lots of lumber dealers but that would not be my choice unless you just really have to have what they are offering. You can always use a small piece of rare wood as an accent  instead of using it as the body of the project.

Finding the goodies is half the fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!