Sourcing a good wooden jointer plane

//Sourcing a good wooden jointer plane
Sourcing a good wooden jointer plane 2015-09-18T23:13:58+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

planegreen
    Participant

Hello

I am new to the forum.  Over the past few months I have been transitioning more and more to hand tools.  Can anyone direct me to a good source of wooden jointer planes?  I am thinking 24 inches or longer.  I really don’t want to get into refurbishing basket cases but am not averse to some cleanup work.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Rob

• Author
    Replies
  • Jonas Jensen
    Participant

Ebay Germany

Hi Rob

I would check out ebay.de

There are a lot of those wooden jointers in Denmark as well, but for some reason there is no Danish ebay site.

In German a jointer is called a Raubank or Rauhbank, try to search using both terms.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ECE-Rauhbank-60mm-Raubank-Hobel-Handhobel-Holzhobel-/361392475889?hash=item5424ab8ef1

This was one of the first I found.

You just need to make sure the seller will ship to Canada before bidding on a tool.

I can’t remember if I have an extra at home, but I can check once I get home on thursday.

Brgds

Jonas

• planegreen
    Participant

Ebay Germany Jointer Planes

Hi Jonas

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion.  I have an ECE smoothing plane which I like a great deal, so I know the brand.  Do you think there are any available that are over 60 cm. in length, or do you find 60 cm is long enough for jointer planing?  I am at a bit of a disadvantage on German web sites as I do not speak or read the language, but I am sure I can get the general impression about a plane’s condition from the web site.

I would be very interested to know if you happen to have an extra jointer plane that you might be willing to sell.

Thanks again for your reply

Robert

• Jonas Jensen
    Participant

Wooden jointers

Hi Rob.

I think that 60 cm is standard. I don’t know why, but Germans usually have a pretty good reason for whatever they are doing, and especially when it concerns standardization of something.

I have seen older ones that are a bit longer, say maybe 70 cm, but I have never tried any of those.

In my opinion 60 cm is really fine for a jointer. But if you want to try a longer plane I see no reason why not.

Here is one that is 66 cm long   http://www.ebay.de/itm/alter-seltener-Hobel-Rauhbank-/400996840391?hash=item5d5d4633c7

Here is one that is 65 cm long    http://www.ebay.de/itm/alter-seltener-Hobel-Rauhbank-/400996325333?hash=item5d5d3e57d5

Here is another one of 66 cm length   http://www.ebay.de/itm/antiker-Hobel-Schreiner-Zimmermann-Werkzeug-Rauhbank-Langhobel-Holz-5-1cm-Klinge-/360844052435?hash=item5403fb47d3

I’ll check when I get home (I am at work in Norway at present)

Brgds

Jonas

• Germanjoiner
    Participant

Rauhbank

Hello Rob!

The Woodplane what you want is a Rauhbank. You can buy Rauhbanks from 3 Faktorys without problems. From Ulmia or ECE or Steiner. All other havent a good iron (knive)not so good. The best iron you can get for money you can buy by Gerd Fritsche. He made a Special D2

http://www.traditional-handplanes.com/index_de.php

• planegreen
      Participant

Hello Germanjoiner

Thank you very much for your reply.  I wish I could afford a Steiner plane.  I had the opportunity to try out a couple of his smoother planes at a Lie Nielson open house a couple of years ago.  Planing difficult birds eye maple was like gliding across slippery glass – just amazing.

Robert

• Jonas Jensen
    Participant

Wooden jointer, 63 cm

Hi Robert.

I have an extra old wooden jointer which is 63 cm long.

I have never used it. I checked the sole, and it is not dead flat. But 5 minutes on a lapping plate or a piece of glass with some sand paper is all that is required.

There is a crack /check in the forward end of the plane. It is nothing that I would worry about. The plane being as old as it is, I don’t think it will change much anymore.

I can’t find any manufactureres marks on it. It is made from beech, and there is an insert in the sole, just in front of the throat, of some harder wood.

The blade is 63 mm wide (2.5″). It is 21 cm long (8″). The blade is E.A. Berg of Sweden. The chipbreaker is also E.A. Berg.

The wedge seems to be the original one, and is in OK condition.

I have never tampered with the plane, I actually can’t even remember when I got it.

There is a bit of rust on the chip breaker, and a bit on the backside of the blade itsel. But The general conditon of the blade is fine. I think it is close to full length, so you can have a lot of years of planing before you need to buy a new blade.

I can’t figure out how to make the pictures smaller, so I can’t attach a picture to this post.

You can write me at bloksav1[at]gmail.com, then I’ll send you some pictures if you are interested.

My idea was 40$ + postage.

Brgds

Jonas

• planegreen
      Participant

Hi Jonas

I will send you an email so you will have my address.

Robert

• Germanjoiner
    Participant

Hello Jonas!

You have an E.A.Berg and sell him for 40buks? Are you sick? Sorry but an E.A. Berg iron is the best iron you can buy for money. The old People if they talk about swedsh steel, they talk about E.A.Berg Steel.

Gegründet 1880 von Erik Anton Berg (1856 – 1903).

Sold to Bahco 1959 the Quallity goes down. But Bahco is a big fish in the biz like Stanley

Sorry for my awfull english but i am german.

http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/eaberg.phtml

• Jonas Jensen
      Participant

Hello Germanjoiner

Hello.

I can’t remember where I obtained the plane from, so I figured that it was better it got a new home where someone could use it :-)

E.A. Berg blades are excellent, but they are quite common in Denmark, and especially in Sweden, where my parents have a small summer house.

I just checked the shipping to Canada from Denmark of the plane would be approximately 70 Euro, which is too much in my opinion.

Und in Deutsch :-)

Ich erinnere nicht, wo ich den hobel bekommen habe. So ich habe gedacht, das es besser war, den hobel an einer neuer Besitzer zu schicken. Einer der den hobel braucht.

Die E.A. Berg Eisen sind sehr gut, aber sie sind “normal” in Dänemark zu finden. Und besonders in Schweden, wo meine Eltern ein Sommerhaus hat.

Die Versandkosten Dänemark – Kanada sind 70 Euro! (viel zu teuer).

Gruss

Jonas

• addisjulio
    Participant

Woodworking tools are the most important tools in my wood shop projects. Bench saws and table saws are an integral part of any woodworking shop and are necessary for many stages in any woodwork project. It can do many functions like crosscut, square, groove, shape, join and miter. One should check whether it is highly reliable, versatile and is made up of high quality or not.

http://www.sliding-saw.com/

• Germanjoiner
    Participant

Hello Jonas!

Only the old E.A.Berg planeknives are exelent. The new Sandvik planeknives are only standard. The best planeknives can you made self.

You have to use a pice of Steel with the Number  A1095. Go with it to a Blacksmith. He made an exelent planeknive from the steelpice. This is the best way to made a good planeknive.

Regards

Jens

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!