Workbench in Progress

//Workbench in Progress
Workbench in Progress 2015-07-06T20:36:26+00:00
  • Creator
    Topic

Seth Ruffin
    Participant

Well I’ve read a couple workbench books. I watched Paul Seller’s workbench building youtube video. I decided to take the plunge, mostly because all I have for a workbench currently is a 20″ by 30″ top. The new bench top is 27″ by 60″. I wanted to be longer than that but it is all the space I have in my ‘workroom’. In all honesty I did the minimum space surrounding that the books suggested. The top is 4″ thick, or nearly, made out of 4×4 douglas fir.

So far I’ve got the top glued together and have worked on cleaning up and leveling the top and squaring the edges. I am waiting to finish the coffee table I’m working on before putting on legs. I am currently planning to have the end have straight legs and the head have angled legs.

I am also hoping to be able to save up to use a Lake Erie woodscrew to make a leg vice for the face vice and a Veritas twin-screw vice for he end vice. I also figure to use a chisel to cut square dog holes and make my own dogs. Right now I’d just be happy with legs on the top though and to have my work surface lower than 46″ which has been killing my shoulder planing. I will try to post new pictures as the bench progresses.

• Author
    Replies
  • Bill
    Participant

Sounds like it’s going to be a nice bench.  I just started a Sellers bench myself, which I’ll post about as time permits.  I really like the idea of using inexpensive softwood lumber to make benches.  I know a lot of folks will poo poo them, but I can make 3 benches that will last a lifetime for what it would cost to buy one hardwood bench.  There’s a lot to be said for that.  People will question the need for multiple benches – until they have them!  I plan to keep my existing bench rigged as a joinery bench with my Moxon vise and some other accoutrements, and use the bench I’m building for general use.  I will also be building an assembly/finishing table in the next few months, too.  My wife graciously “gave” me our double car garage for a shop – and I’m running with that ball.  I have almost 800 sq. ft. to build out.  My only worry is how bad I’m going to get revenge-shopped because of it!  Keep posting photos as you build out – I’d like to see your progress.

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant

I went with Douglas Fir because it is cheap here but also because in  reading Christopher Schwartz workbench book it actually showed as a really good and stable wood to use. I am hoping for this bench to eventually be a under the patio bench since it is FULL of sap and I’m sure that should help protect it outdoors. I am thinking of using danish oil or linseed oil for a finish as well. Thanks for the comments. I’ll keep posting as it progresses. I’d love to see your Paul Seller’s as well.

• grant_mh
      Participant

Like the photos

I really like what you’re doing as I have no “work shop” except for the back yard; I’ve been using a Potting table I made for my wife asa work surface but it’s really difficult to glue up anything longer than 30 inchs – going to follow your proeject with great interest.

• Morbius
    Participant

Vices

I’ve picked up a couple of antique wooden screws (about 2 inches in diameter at about 6 tip) that were used for leg vices and have been slowly incorporating them into my workbench. As I’ve added vices, I’ve found them more and more useful. I can now add vices to my vices.

Craig

• Seth Ruffin
      Participant

Craig,

Where did you find the antique woodscrews? Do they have the nuts as well?

Seth

• flametamer301
    Participant

I am looking to build another work bench because the one I did build I absolutely hate. I used 2x4s which after reading several of Christopher Schwarz found out was a bad idea because they did twist, bend and all kinds of crazy things. His book also suggested not using 4×4 so I how you have better luck with your bench than I did with mine. The next one is going to be a Roubo using 2×12 which from my readings say have the clearest wood since they are used for structure building on homes.

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant

Hey Flametamer301,

Yea I considered Christopher Schwarz comment about 4×4 but his main concerned seemed to be knots and cut. If you look at my pictures you can see that I rooted around the pile (for quite awhile) to find almost all quarter sawn or rift sawn wood. I also let the wood sit in my shop for at least a month before planing the sides and gluing together. The top has been very stable for the last month it has been glued together.

I wish you the best of luck with your next bench (I think the basic frame is fun just hate the price of the hardware).

Seth

• Daniel
    Participant

After reading this post I watched a little of Paul Sellers bench video, I will finish watching the rest of it later. Good ideas and lots of learning in there.

I’ll be watching this thread for more pictures!

• Morbius
    Participant

Antique Wood Screws

I picked them up off eBay. Both had been salvaged from an old flooded shipping container. Complete with the nuts! The big one is now a leg vice on my workbench. :)

Craig

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant

Went and bought the 4×4’s for the legs and braces to hopefully finish the basic setup of the bench. I  may get a chance to work on it this weekend but I also just found 10 very old (the one I cleaned so far has a 1860’s stamp on the blade) that I am also hoping to work on some……oh and it’s my anniversary so I should spend at least some time with my wife……maybe due to ‘happy wife happy life’ I’ll have to work on these projects next weekend. Either way, hopefully I’ll have some new pictures soon.

Seth

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant
  • rickg3
    Participant

That is some nice looking Douglas Fir! That will make a beautiful bench.

I am jealous!:)

• Seth Ruffin
    Participant

Finally – long delay

So I got really sick and had a bunch of trouble to where I was unable to woodwork for over 2 month!!! Don’t worry somehow I lived and made it through the withdrawals. That said over the last couple weeks I have put a lot of work and effort into finishing up this bench. I have the basic bench together though I still need to save up money for the vice hardware I hope to install. I also have not yet done any draw pegging or installed the tusks.

I will aim to get some pictures snapped and put them up this weekend.

• Tyvekboy
    Participant

— Suggested Top —

I don’t know how far along you are on your workbench but thought I’d throw this idea out for you to consider.

Over 40 years ago I build a crude workbench out of 4 X4’s, 2 X4’s and 2 X 6’s (tops) and it is still being used today … by my younger son. The top is solid oak flooring. I forgot how I attached it but I’ll leave that up to you. It is a durable top surface material and when flattened, sanded, and oiled, it looks pretty.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join

Wood and Shop in your inbox?

Subscribe to get Joshua's free traditional woodworking videos, articles & news:

You have Successfully Subscribed!